This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to submit your criminal record check electronically (applies to both basic and enhanced).
Please Note: the organization you applied to is using CharityVillage’s background screening tools services to conduct your reference checks. CharityVillage has partnered with Screening Canada to provide this service. For more information about Screening Canada, please click here.
Step 1: You will receive an email from CharityVillage asking you to click the Review the Request button to provide consent to the organization you applied to and CharityVillage to continue with your file.
* For this tutorial, “CharityVillage Demo” is the organization requesting you to submit details for a Criminal Record Check. The name of the employer you applied to will appear in its place. *
Please Note: You must read and follow the email instructions from CharityVillage carefully and action as soon as possible to avoid any delays in the hiring process. To begin this process, you will need:
- 2 pieces of ID
- A Web Camera
Step 2: Adding details to your Candidate dashboard – Upload 2 pieces of Identification Documents (ID)
At the top of your dashboard, you will see an overview of your file. The middle white box Identity Verification is where you upload your 2 ID’s – please click Upload.
One you click Upload; a pop-up screen will appear called ID Upload. You will be asked to select 2 different pieces of ID from a dropdown menu, input the ID number, and upload a clear photo of your ID document in the Click to Upload box. Please make sure ALL details are filled in correctly before you click Submit.
Step 3: Verifying your Identification Documents
You will now see your uploaded information in the Identity Verification box and will need to verify your identification. Click the Verify button to do so.
There are two ways to verify your ID:
- Electronic Identification (eID)- eID uses personal information collected by a Canadian Credit Bureau to verify a candidate’s identity. You are required to answer a series of questions by the system.
- If eID fails: LiveVideo ID – You will be connected with a Screening Canada team member who has the authorization to verify your ID instantly over video chat. It will only take a few minutes. This can be done straight away during regular Monday-Friday business hours. Otherwise, you may need to schedule a time.
Once this process is completed, the criminal background search will begin. You can access your results from your candidate dashboard and export the information into a PDF file for your records.
Still have questions?
Please email CharityVillages Customer Service Representative (CSR), Samantha Schofield (email@example.com).
ACCEPTABLE ID LIST of ID's for Step 2 of this process
PRIMARY AND SECONDARY ID (ID #1)
- Driver’s License (issued by Canadian province or territory)
- Foreign Driver’s License
- Canadian Passport
- Foreign Passport
- BC Driver’s Licence and Services Card
- Photo BC Services Card
- Permanent Resident (PR) Card
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card
- Canadian National Institute of The Blind (CNIB) Identification Card
- Federal, Provincial or Municipal Identification Card
- Military Family Card
- Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) or Possession/Acquisition License (PAL)
SECONDARY ID ONLY (ID #2)
- Provincial or Territorial Health Cards
- Government Employment Card
- International Student Card
- Age of Majority Card
- Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Certificate
- Non-Photo BC Services Card
- Hunting License
- Fishing License
- Boating License
- LCBO/Age of Majority Card
- Outdoors Card
- Hospital Card
- Canadian Blood Donor Card
- Immigration Papers
- Student ID
- City/Municipal Library Card
- Utility bill (water, electricity, taxes or Lease agreement showing both name and address will be accepted - to be used only in cases where the Applicant does not have a Secondary piece of ID).